Prerequisite skills are performed on the first day of class before instruction
begins. Candidates who do not complete all 3 phases
of the prerequisite skills to the
instructor's satisfaction will not be eligible to participate in the remainder
of the course, and will not be given a refund. Bathing suits must be worn.
- Swim 100 Yards front crawl
- Front crawl
- Breaststroke with head up
- Elementary backstroke kick with hands on the chest/stomach
- Perform a feet first surface dive in 8 - 10 feet of water, and then swim underwater for 15 feet.
- Sprint for a distance of 60 feet then perform an arm - over - arm surface dive in 8 - 10 feet of water.
- Pick up an object from the bottom of the pool, surface and tread water for 1 min using legs only, and then replace the object back on the pool bottom where it was found.
- Surface and swim the remaining length of the pool and hoist yourself out of the water without using a ladder or other assistance.
- Immediately begin compressions on an adult manikin for 1 min or 100 compressions; stand and listen to directions from the instructor.